1,600+ Palestinian political prisoners declare an open ended hunger strike to protest against
the deplorable conditions under which they are held. Their demands:
- Install a public landline for all of the prisoners in all [Israeli] prisons and sections so
that they can communicate with family members.
- Family visitation:
- End the International Committee of the Red Cross’ reduction of family visitation to once a
month. Resume offering family visitation twice a month.
- Establish the opportunity for family visitation twice a month as irrevocable.
- Allow all first-degree and second-degree relatives of prisoners to visit them.
- Increase family visitation from 45 minutes to 1.5 hours.
- Allow the prisoners to have a photograph with their families every three months.
- Build facilities for the comfort of visitors and families at the prisons’ gates.
- Allow children and grandchildren under the age of 16 to visit detainees.
- Medical file:
- Close the so-called Ramla prison hospital because it lacks basic medical equipment and
- End medical negligence.
- Allow regular medical check ups.
- Allow surgery as needed.
- Allow specialist doctors to check prisoners.
- Release sick detainees, especially those with special needs and chronic illnesses.
- Exempt prisoners from paying for their medication.
- Respond to the demands and rights of Palestinian female prisoners, especially in regards to
transfer conditions and physical barriers between detainees and family members during
- Transfer van (Bosta):
- Treat prisoners in a humane manner while transferring them in the Bosta.
- Return prisoners visiting clinics and courts to prisons; do not to hold them at crossings.
- Prepare crossing for human use, and to provide meals for prisoners.
- Add TV channels that suit the needs of prisoners.
- Install air conditioners in prisons, especially in Megiddo and Gilboa prisons.
- Re-install kitchens at prisons and place them under the supervision of Palestinian
- Allow prisoners access to books, newspapers, clothes, foods, and special items for family
- End solitary confinement policy.
- End administrative detention policy.
- Re-start the education program at the Hebrew Open University.
- Allow Palestinian prisoners sit for Tawjihi [high school] matriculation exams in an official